BREW

offical Blog of the Liger

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

BASKETBALL VIOLENCE

When I was a Senior in HS I played Basketball. My best friend Jeff and I had both started on Varsity since we were Sophomores. Jeff was and still is one of my closest friends. We had started being friends and Kindergarten and barely a week went by those first 13 years of our friendship that we did not hang out together. You think people grow up right and then they go off and married a southerner and forget everything I learn't them growing up. I am getting off track.
One night in practice Jeff and I were scrimmaging in practice on opposite teams. Another good friend of ours SmallZ who is still also one of my best friends today was on Jeff's side. Smallz rode the pine. he never said anything, but I know it bothered him that his two best friends where the studs of the team and he played about 30 seconds a game. It was not that Smallz was not an athlete, he did things on a Baseball diamond I could not even dream about, but in Avoca Basketball was King and Jeff and I were princes. So in practice to make up for his lake of skill SmallZ played hard and he was guarding me. He was blatantly fouling me but it was practice and the coach let that stuff go to build of toughness. I was guarding Jeff on D. Since I was getting pushed by SmallZ, I started pushing Jeff in frustration. This went back and forth for about fifteen minutes till Jeff tackled me in the middle of the court. Coach threw us out of practice so quick, the next thing I remember was being out in the hall by the Senior lockers joking around with Jeff. It did not hurt our friendship at all, we blamed SmallZ. The funny thing was that the cheerleaders where just getting out of practice and asked us what we were doing in the hall. We explained that we got kicked out of practice for fighting. They did not believe us till they could confirm it with people that saw the whole thing go down. The next day Jeff and I had to do push-ups over a picture of the team and kiss the picture every time we went down. That was easy compared to the practice after we left. Coach was so pissed off that he rode the rest of the team in to the ground the rest of practice. Jeff and I walked over to his house which was only a few blocks from the school and his Mom made us some sandwiches. This was a bad idea, although his Mom suspected nothing. His father was our History teacher and one of the most intimidating people I have ever known. He found out what happened and read us the riot act. That was the one and only time I have ever fought a friend.