BREW

offical Blog of the Liger

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

THE AMISH

The last few weeks I have been watching Amish in the City on UPN. I like the show, but I think the producers would have been better served if they actually placed the Amish kids with normal American kids that the idiots that they put on the show. Where I grew up in Upstate New York we had Amish farms around. It was not an everyday occurrence that you would see a horse and buggy, but we did not consider it an unusual site to see an Amish person. One summer I when I was younger, I worked on a potato farm. One of the things I used to do with that job was to take 50 lbs. bags of potatoes to the Amish for sale. Some of the nicest people I have ever known have been Amish. I have hung out with a few that have been on Runspringa, but I have only known one who left the order. It is a tough choice to make.

In my life I had just grown up with the Amish around. I never had seen anyone react to seeing the Amish for the first time until five years ago. Those five years ago I was on my way to my cousins wedding in Harrison Valley, PA which is located in northern PA and also just happens to be me mum's home town. My x-girlfriend and I were about halfway there when we came upon a horse and buggy. She had grown up in Middletown, NY, which is about an hour north of The City. I knew immediately what I was seeing and had no reaction. She had no idea what she was seeing. This girl was an intelligent person, but her reaction to seeing the Amish was one of almost disgust. She honestly could not believe that they did not drive. At the time I thought her reaction was funny. It was not for some time later that I realized that her reaction had been one of ignorance and almost hatred. She had been driving and considered it a dangerous for her to have to try and avoid hitting them.